Saturday, April 7, 2007

A View from the Shoe


My creation
Originally uploaded by Softballcrazy.

Hey, I'm Gary Neal Armstrong and welcome to my blog. I'm also known as the traveling "Shoe Shine Guy" in Nashville, Tennessee. Using my "secret sauce," I can put a shine on shoes so bright you can see your reflection!

I didn't start out my career being a shoe shine guy. I attended college and had a successful career in sales. I was having a great time and then some things happened that made me reevaluate my priorities. As a result, I decided to make some changes.

Along the way, I came across the Bible verse Proverbs 18:16 that says, "A man's gift makes room for him and brings him before great men." I have found that verse to be completely true. By using my simple talent of shining shoes, I have met some of the most incredible people that I never would have known had I stayed on my "traditional career path." Some of them have been amazingly brilliant, talented, famous, powerful -- and some have been just "plain folk" with powerful life messages.

A few months ago, I decided to write about some of my experiences as a Shoe Shine Guy. The result is a screenplay called "The Shoe Shine Guy" (original, huh?). It is part fact and part fiction. It has a lot of laughs, a little romance and illustrates what can happen when we use or talents/gifts to bless other people. I'll be sharing a lot more about this project, as well as some of the things I've learned from my "view from the shoe" in the days to come.

Thanks for visiting my blog and I hope you'll come back often. -- Keep shining!

No comments: